Saturday, May 26, 2012

First week of observation

So I just finished my first week of training at Kojen and the training has been interesting to say the least. They pretty much just stick you in the class room and let you observe the other teachers as they teach their classes. Which isn't exactly what I expected but it hasn't been all bad, and you get some one on one training with a teacher trainer. I actually kind of prefer it compared to the crazy training Hess was going to give us. I feel the training at Hess may have been a little more in depth and may have helped us feel more comfortable as teachers more quickly. but I think I prefer this type of training and feel it suits me better anyway, and it's actually been really helpful. Plus I really wasn't looking forward to the crazy training schedule that Hess was about to put us through. My administrator/trainer Howard or whatever his position is called not quite sure, has been great and really accommodating. The first week here at Kojen was an interesting one when I first arrived there had been some lack of communication between the head office/recruiting manager Christine and the branch I was to be working at. When we arrived we were under the assumption that everything had been worked out and we were good to go. However the first day I arrived at the Branch I was supposed to be working at I was promised I would have about about 18-24 hours of work, not at first obviously, but when I got here to speak to Howard I was told we were in an unique situation. The situation was that he didn't realize I was going to be there so soon so he actually didn't have any available hours for me, and was a little hesitant to bring me on. The reason being is my particular branch is kinda slow right now and many of the teachers there were only working about 14 hours a week and most of them were wanting more hours. Which in the back of my mind I had a feeling this could potentially happen. Howard however was really accommodating and did everything he could to help me work something out. So what happened was he had a some hours he was teaching that he was willing to part with. He also talked with another Kojen branch manager that had some hours available as well and they are going to let me split hours between my branch and another branch. So now I have a decent and comfortable schedule to start out with working between two different branches. Which obviously not ideal but not a big deal at least I'm able to work now and have a decent amount of hours. So it was kind of a sketch at first but it all worked out in the end. At first I wasn't too impressed with Kojen but luckily I got a good director who is really willing to help and work with me, so I'm super grateful for that this could have gotten way more stressful than it already was hahaha. Can't wait to actually start teaching though should be a good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment